Clients in the aviation sector rely on project managers who have an intricate understanding of sterile, airside and landside operational environments associated with the mass transit movements of people, luggage and goods. Representing an interconnected mix of business groups that work alongside each other 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, managing projects in this environment requires the successful management of a complex mix of key stakeholders with various vested interests.
Our team has considerable experience in the aviation sector, implementing strategies for staging live environment and operational works for terminal development and upgrades and airside infrastructure projects. This includes:
• Gold Coast Airport Project Lift: new international terminal building and refurbishment of the existing 35,000m2 terminal. Nathan Vinall was the senior project manager for this significant infrastructure project which included aerobridges, airside apron extensions, bay stand reconfigurations and landside parking and transport infrastructure. Nathan also assisted in managing the $200m+ building contract requiring executive client project briefing, value management and delivery of the managing contractors’ scope of work with an all-inclusive master staging plan to maintain airport operations, revenue and passenger movements.
•Brisbane Airport International Terminal Building Upgrade. As the Brisbane Airport Corporation Stakeholder representative, Nathan Vinall led 9 departments and 120 staff through the full project delivery lifecycle of the airside and landside duty free, retail, food and beverage and gate kiosk upgrades within an operating 24/7 international terminal environment from 2012-2015.
• Brisbane Airport International Terminal Building: Airside Airline Lounge. Nathan Vinall led the coordination, design development and procurement to aid Brisbane Airport Corporation to deliver a new airline lounge offering for international passengers, consisting of three lounges managed by different lessees.
Project managing the construction and delivery of commercial buildings requires a deep understanding of complex stakeholder management, commercial returns on investment, funding and joint finance arrangements, and program and project delivery models. By applying early optioneering and commercial yield proposals, we focus on achieving market tender price points.
Our commercial experience includes a range of commercial office spaces, hotels and mixed-use developments, including:
• Hendra Medical Centre Development. 760m2 NLA sub-dividable into four medical based commercial tenancies.
• Ryde Central Commercial – In addition to project managing the development of the overall civic centre redevelopment, we are also responsible for project managing the delivery of 2000m2 of NLA commercial office workplace for up to six tenancies with a lessor delivered warm shell PCA Grade B base build; and up to 1000m2 of food and beverage cold shell tenancy housing, a café, commercial kitchen, and roof top bar and restaurant.
Understanding current research, best practice design and care models, and the latest developments in technology is critical to successfully managing projects in the health care sector. Health care projects are often ever-changing, complex, operational environments that require us to develop a strong connection with the entire design team including subject matter experts and health professionals to ensure a successful outcome.
Our team’s health care experience extends to hospitals, dental practices, dental schools, medical centres, allied and mental health services, and all associated models of health-related support services, including:
• Hendra Medical Centre Development.
• Toowoomba Base Hospital. Design Manager Nathan Vinall delivered the strategic planning and programming for the hospital’s detailed business case for Building Queensland. This included drafting 30+ scopes of work in eight packages to Queensland Health standards for the entire design team to deliver the hospital through to construction completion.
Public buildings are a unique project to manage, requiring a unique balance of managing public interest and scrutiny, political aspirations, and the transparency of use of public/private funds to deliver infrastructure for community use and benefit.
Our experience with project managing the development of public buildings is diverse, including public workplaces, gathering spaces that facilitate entertainment, sport, cultural, spiritual and contemplative activities, facilities that are focused on supporting the arts in the way of civic buildings, cultural centres, art galleries, community halls and theatres, all with interconnecting transport links and quality external public landscape spaces.
Some key examples of our public buildings experience includes:
• Ryde Central Civic Centre Redevelopment. Client-side Project Management delivery lead from business case approval, development application, and then for ECI and D&C delivery of a new Civic Centre Council building and 700 seat community and culture centre for the City of Ryde, Sydney.
• Eastwood Central Redevelopment. External advisor for business case and project management delivery of a strategic city centre redevelopment for the City of Ryde, Sydney.
Our residential sector project management experience ranges from vertical inner-city residential towers, to master planned town centres and associated residential living, and rural pre-fab and modular buildings. We understand the economics associated with return on investment and the aspirational home life expectations of different residential markets. Our focus is always on maximising the commercial opportunity for our client while delivering a building that supports quality of life for the users.
Our residential sector experience includes:
Retail is an ever-adapting environment, with owners and designers constantly looking for new ways to bring surprise and delight to retail consumers to maximise user experience and leasing sustainability. To help achieve this, project managers need a thorough understanding of demographics, market trends, leasing requirements and client commercial parameters.
Our experience extends from delivering new build neighbourhood centres and shopping centre expansions, to retail expansions, reconfigurations and fit outs within operational environments. We are also experienced in retail strategy planning and developing business cases for developments including neighbourhood high streets, central shopping centres, aviation precincts, warehouse communities and storage for on-line shopping distribution.
Some of our key project experience includes:
• Brisbane International Airport Retail. Client-side project management for Brisbane Airport Corporation by Nathan Vinall. Nathan oversaw the international airside retail changeover of the major duty free operator plus 20 speciality retailers and F&B operators, from managing all requests for proposals, leasing agreements, fit out designs and managing fit outs on site.
• Gold Coast Airport Retail. Relocation staging proposal and management of all international and domestic retail and F&B operators, staged by lease expiry, while maintaining revenue and operations throughout.
The aged care and retirement living sector is undergoing a considerable period of change with an increased focus on creating desirable, purpose-driven environments with high end technology solutions to support lifestyle choices and building operations. We expect there is more to come as the aged care and retirement industry strives to provide a service that implements a greater sense of control and purpose, supported as needed by assisted care.
Our experience includes:
• Lutheran Residential Services Aged Care Redevelopment. Nathan Vinall was engaged as the Strategic portfolio Director to reposition and repurpose 11 existing sites and ageing building stock for the portfolio managers office of the Lutheran Services Phase 1 redevelopment program. Concurrently delivering 15 aged care and retirement living projects across 11 sites, with over 750 beds and 300 Independent living units.
• Lutheran Independent Living Redevelopment, Nundah – Nathan Vinall led the project management of this seven storey, Queensland Master Builder award winning residential tower, from design to construction. Upon approval of the business case Douglas Pountney managed construction administration of the development through to completion.
Workplaces are highly transitional due to the implications of market stimulus, economic fluctuation and implications of churn. Whether a client is repositioning an asset, down or upsizing, relocating or reconfiguring, the core principles for successful project delivery remain the same – understand the clients’ ethos, the value placed on people, the business approach and the desired future market position.
Working across the public and private sector, our team have successfully delivered and repositioned workplaces and base building assets for equity funds, government organisations, commercial rollouts and stand-alone clients.
• Ryde Central Civic Centre Council Building Redevelopment. Client-side Project Management delivery lead from business case approval, development application, and then for ECI and D&C delivery of a new Civic Centre Council building of 4500m2 NLA over three interconnected floor plates.
• Brisbane International Airport, Department of Immigration and Border Force. As the Brisbane Airport Corporation Stakeholder representative, Nathan Vinall led the reconfiguration of the new tenancy planning layout for the Department of Immigration and Border Force workplace within the international terminal. The workplace had to comply with government standards, including a full decanting program.
• Gold Coast Airport Project Lift, Department of Immigration and Border Force tenancy. As Senior Project Manager, Nathan Vinall led the Department of Immigration and Border Force with their new 1000m2 tenancy planning in accordance with government standards, achieving an accepted design compliance for all parties.
© Copyright STAR PMCA 2022. www.starpmca.com.au All Rights Reserved.